Mindfulness
It was a nice long weekend afternoon and me and my family were driving on the road near our place. We were relaxed after a good weekend meal and since it was a long weekend there was no need to rush for anything. This was our usual road which we take often to go to work, grocery store, kids' school etc. My husband suddenly showed me a beautiful tree near the side walk. It was the season of Spring and the tree was completely covered with purple blossom. He asked. "How did this tree suddenly got so many flowers?" I laughed and said "I am sure it was not sudden. We did not notice it before." My husband replied, " Yes, it's true. Who has time on regular days to look around? Every day we are passing this tree but we are always looking at the clock instead of the tree." I was quiet surprised to realize this fact. It is the route we take every day. So many changes must have happened in this tree since Winter. The tree must have got sprouts first, then small green leaves, then the leaves must have grown bigger, then the buds and now it looks so pretty covered with blossom! I was so busy in my daily routines that I just ignored this tree and missed on so much beauty which was offered by nature for my eyes for free!
It often happens, we are so busy in our chores that we seldom realize how mechanical we have become and we are missing so much fun happening right in front of our eyes. When I look at my day, I realize that I am so preoccupied with thoughts of either past or future that I hardly enjoy my present. Sure, we need to learn from the mistakes of our past and we also need to plan for future but in this process it isn't very wise to lose the present. The nature is changing colors, kids around you are going through different beautiful phases of growth, that one movie is released, that book is published, today's tea has turned out to be awesome! So many things are happening! There is always nectar flowing in the kind universe, all you need is just be there! Be there to attend the event not only physically but with all your mind!
In today's blog, I would just like to leave you with this thought without adding much of mine further. Meditation teachers, scientists, philosophers write wonderful things about mindfulness. I can not resist the temptation to share few I like.
- Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).” – James Baraz
- “The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.” – Henry Miller
- “Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.” – Carl Jung
- “To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.” – William Blake
- “Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future; live the actual moment. Only this moment is life.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “If you clean the floor with love, you have given the world an invisible painting.” – Osho
Please feel free to share what you think. Would love to read more famous quotes as well on this topic if you have any.
Superb!!!
ReplyDelete