The monster within
In our otherwise pure, amazingly divine self, due to the numerous external forces, there comes many monsters within us or at least try to come within us. They are as many as one can name. Anger, lust, greed, ego and the list goes on. There is one more monster which I felt like talking about today and it is the monster of depression. Like all other monster, depression is also not a part of your amazing self. It pretends to be your own and then finds the entry in your life.
It makes you believe so many things that are not even true! Some of them are as follows-
1) It is the end of the world! - Every one has their own struggle stories. Many of them are really devastating. Depression manages to convince us in difficult times that this is the end of all hopes! We have no choice but to sleep in our beds and moan on the lost things. It is so not true!
One day I was trying to reach for an appointment to a new place. I was running a bit late and my GPS was showing a particular rout to reach to that place. When I started on that route, I saw a major road work going on there. I was so upset thinking that this is going to delay me more that I completely forgot about other 3 more routes I can take. I heard the announcement on the radio about the changes on route due to road work and information on alternate routes. After this I woke up from the "sleep" and took the other route. I reached to the place 5 minutes late but so did the person who I was meeting.
In life's situations also, we often forget that there are many ways to reach the destination. If one road is closed there is always another open. Not only this, sometimes on the way we can decide to change the destination. It's our perspective about things and situations, we can change it any time we want! we don't have to stick to old ways and cry that there is nothing new happening.
2) We are the victims!- Depression makes us believe that we are the victims in the whole situation and the whole world wants the piece of us! I know life is very unfair at times in spite of all the wonderful blessings bestowed by the universe. But if a handicapped person can be a great physicist, if a slave can change the world, if a flood victim can help the needy, if a refugee can be a business tycoon, why can's we get back to normal lives after a disaster? Who cares if you were a victim or not when you are able to conquer after a war!
3) There is comfort in being depressed- Being depressed is comforting superficially. You do not need to take any responsibilities. You can blame every one around for your bad situation. You can sleep in your bed with your pajamas on. You do not have to face the world. If you have a supportive family, it is a cherry on the top! They are constantly petting your ego by caring for you, protecting you! It's all cool!
Though, as a human being we get bored of this also as we get bored of everything else after a while. Only after this we realize that we missed so many monsoons, rainbows and sunsets while we were in our big snooze. Whatever our quest is, may be material, spiritual or just of daily duties, we thrive on possibilities. Depression is a big bully for possibilities!
So depression provides you all the wrong information and pretends to take away the super abilities you have. Your life becomes limited and you find yourself very small. It is so not true! universe does not fly for you but it has provided you the hidden wings. All we need to do is wait through the darkest nights but stay awake. It is hard but to fly, you need to be awake when the Sun rises.
Comments
Post a Comment