Only change is permanent

As a part of my profession, I get to work with elderly population at nursing homes occasionally. The people I work with are very senior like in their 80s and 90s or so. They have difficulties like after stroke disabilities, dementia, cognitive decline etc. The places where I work, have 2-3 patients in one big room, staying for their treatment. Some times, some patients with Dementia show some serious Dementia symptoms like a lot of effect on their memory, cognitive skills etc. They often forget things as simple as their name, family members, the idea about their age etc. Naturally, the things they talk might sound very irrelevant and at times even bizarre.

I often see that other patients staying in the same room, who are less affected than the people I just mentioned above, tend to laugh at their bizarre talks. They make fun of their room mates who are slightly more affected than them. 

I find this tendency of us humans very interesting. In the nursing home situation, all the patients are almost in the same age range. The main reason of them being in the nursing home is they all are suffering with some ailments. It is likely that the patients with less serious symptoms might end up having serious symptoms sooner or later. Considering this, all the patients should be  empathetic towards each other. At least they should not be laughing at each other if they are not able to show any compassion. 

Then I realize that most of us have been doing this for all life long. When we are in a good position or a favorable situation, we feel stronger than others. We often  ignore how vulnerable we are. We forget the temporary nature of life. Huge mansions get collapsed in seconds after an earthquake strikes or if the fire gets into it. With one new invention, yesterday's poor scientist becomes rich overnight. One small misunderstanding can turn best friends into enemies. 

We just forget that in this world, only change is permanent. The next door neighbor suffering due to one small mistake can be you tomorrow. It is foolish to mock him/her for making that one silly mistake. 

Any way, who needs people who spread only negativity and mockery? The world already have enough of those! It is more meaningful to lend a helping hand rather than a gossiping mouth. We are like the sand particles on the beach. Some particles are soaked up wet already. That does not mean we will stay dry and happy. The high tide is going to cover all the sand soon. It will also dry off after the storm is settled. It is better to stick together and make someone smile by turning into a sand castle till the next storm arrives!        


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson of a woman who is no one

Always Ask Questions

And at the end I am yours