Practicing "right"

This is the time of making new year's resolutions. Most people are busy making their new year's resolutions for exercise, healthy diet, money habits, social life and what not. The idea behind making these resolutions is having a goal for ourselves and practicing the things that are "right" for us. This is just an attempt to make oneself a better and happier person. After all we tend to get better at things that we practice the most. Since childhood, we have been  told to practice important life skills like walking, running, swimming, biking, writing, job related tasks, cooking etc. to master them. Practice makes man perfect! 

If this is true then why practice at only superficial level? This new year, I have decided to look at even the deeper and more important habits I have been practicing. To my surprise, I have been practicing many "wrong" habits and as a rule of practice, I am even getting better at it. I might be saying that I do not want negativity in my life but my actions do not really match with my words. If I do not want negativity, why the heck am I practicing it? I do not want to get better at it! 

Hopefully, I can make some major changes in my practices this year! For example, I have been practicing complaining since years. I am really good at it now as a result! I hope, instead I can practice acting to change the situation. Practice doing something about the problem instead of complaining. 

I want to practice being a good friend and not just a critic. Many times, when our friends get into hardships, we tend to say " I knew it! why did you make that choice?" I do not think a good friend will ever say that. A person in trouble wants to hear few words of compassion, hope and further planning to get out of the trouble. If you are so good at speculating and advising, use it now and give that sensible advise now. Do not tell your friend how your advise in the past was right and how he/she is doomed by not following it in the past. That is the last thing any one in trouble would want to hear. I want to practice spreading positive energy if I want it for myself. 

Comparing has never done any good to anybody. It just gives rise to feeling of lack, jealousy and unhealthy competition. Why would I practice something which is so useless! Instead I want to practice focusing on self growth this year. 

I often say that I want peace in my life. If it is true then there is no point fighting just to prove my point to others. Practice of keeping calm will bring calmness, arguments have no space in the peace pavilion! 

Certain sorrows can not be avoided but if I want happiness, I need to practice being happy. choosing it over complaining, guilty feelings and attitude of crying over spilled milk is a good way to start happiness practice. 

To get positive in life, practicing negative stuff is never going to be helpful. Looking at the bright sides of the darkest nights is the only option. 

Along with the good work, health, money and relationship resolutions, I hope I can work on this resolution of practicing "right" stuff! I am hopeful about it. After all being hopeful is also a good practice! :) 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson of a woman who is no one

Always Ask Questions

And at the end I am yours