ABCD

My birth place is Mumbai, India. I really loved it there. I have my family, friends there. Our whole education happened there and I really enjoyed it. I met my spouse there and we got married there as well. Further my qualification and nature of job provided me opportunity to travel to USA. At the time of travel, I was just a fresher willing to see s new world. Though, after I started working and living in USA, I found many good opportunities here to grow as a professional. We also decided to grow our family and in no time we became proud parents of two awesome girls. Now we had every reason to continue our stay here in USA. 

USA is a very friendly and nice country. Though, living away from the country of your origin brings many adjustments. Like many other parents, we have a responsibility of raising Indian American kids. Indian by origin and American by birth. From different experienced parents you get to hear different things about parenting. Same goes with raising Indian American kids. Many people say these kids are prone to become ABCD. ABCD means American Born Confused Desi. I hear them. These kids have parents who come from different cultural backgrounds than what they see around while growing up. It might be hard for them to choose between two different standards.  

In spite of this, I feel these kids and even these parents are at a different advantage than the parents of kids who have always lived in the same country. Parenting is a tough job and no answers come really handy. Though, I feel that we can easily take advantage of the fact that we have two great examples to teach from to our kids as an immigrant parent. At least, the items on my wishlist to teach my daughters are as follows-

1) The whole world is one global village- There is a concept of equality, being tolerant to differences, appreciating different tastes and cultures. For so many people it does not come easily at all. People often are self centered and do not want to be flexible towards something different than their "groups". Groups based on gender, race, skin color, religion, country and what not! Groups are great and they surely provide sense of security. At times though it becomes so rigid that we forget to acknowledge differences. Kids of immigrant parents are naturally at the advantage of knowing it by birth that there are differences. The differences are beautiful. One can easily live with difference and also learn from them. 

2) Best of two places- If parents have strong values, I do not think kids will have any reason to be confused. Values and cultures are two different things. There are great values taught by every culture. Immigrant parents can easily teach best of two countries values. Once the kids have strong values, adopting from different cultures becomes a beautiful advantage. 

3) Value of heritage- When you are in just one place always and talking about that heritage, there is a fear of that "heritage talk" becoming a routine. On the other hand if you are at a different place, talking about two different heritages will never end the thrill about it. Teaching and learning heritage in such a way becomes a never ending fun. 

4) Street Smart- Immigrant families have their own adjustments to make in a new place. If the kids are observant enough or if the parents share their experiences in a smart way with kids, there are strong chances that these kids will easily learn important life lessons. They will definitely know that life is not a bed of roses. Also, there is no need to give up easily. Life comes with endless possibilities. Education and success are individualistic things. Street smartness is as important as academic education. 
I hope I can teach these skills to my kids and then will not have to call them ABCDs. I am lucky enough to take birth in a great country and to live in another great one. I do not have to worry about having two standards instead I can make best of the two! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson of a woman who is no one

Always Ask Questions

And at the end I am yours