Festive Therapy

Working in a school setting often exposes me to different students with different areas of strengths and struggles. I also come across many professionals working with them. School counselor is one of them. Students have many difficult situations at home, they have their struggles to adjust with growing age years, there is stress related to coping with academics, peer pressures, bullying, and so on. Thanks to counselors to help students find a way to keep their thoughts and emotions sorted. With growing technology, we also have such a great access to entertainment, social bonding etc. but at the same time this brings its own toll. Longer screen times, social pressures, cyber crimes and what not! Thanks to family and friends for being there and  letting us find support in all thick and thins. When I look at this, I strongly feel fortunate to have access to all the festivals I can be part of.
 
Festivities back in India or in USA plays great therapeutic role in our lives I believe. Festivals bring lot of food, people, colors and iled up with food, Christmas brings Milk and cookies and many more. Every festival brings back some family traditions for every one. It can be religious, social or cultural. These beautiful associations of festivals, food and traditions itself are so soothing. The sight of Christmas trees brings a smile on our face reminding us of that time again of the year. The smell of roasted besan brings back the memories of Diwali fun I had with my family. These associations create so much enthusiasm in daily life. The sweet memories compel us to carry forward the same traditions further. Giving some purpose and hope to routine bound life. No wonder in our busy schedules also, we take special efforts to decorate that tree again, to fix that big meal again, to dress up fancy again. Imagine a world without any festive lights, without any festive decorations, without any festive foods! It will be so boring!  
 
Another therapeutic part of festivals is the chance it creates for socialization. Celebrating some thing together as a family itself is so uplifting. If there is community involvement in such celebrations then its an additional bonus. Being around with people with similar likes and interest creates the sense of belonging. This is no less than being a part of a support group. Sharing stories, hugs, laughers and gifts is no less than a medicine.
 
Festivals can act like an oasis in the middle of the desert of routine. It gives us the purpose and hope. It brings back the colors and aromas. It arises enthusiasm. It brings the feeling of belongingness. It calls the families together. It acts like a therapy for stressed out mind.
 
So next time before complaining about expensive holiday shopping, 5 course meal cooking, dirty dishes, big pile of laundry, cleaning up after decorating, I am going to just thank universe for availing the cheapest and brightest therapy tool called festivals.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson of a woman who is no one

Always Ask Questions

And at the end I am yours